Teeth Troubles: 10 Tips to Keep Teeth in Tip-Top Shape
A flashy smile is one thing, but your overall health is the main thing. Oral health is one of the many components of overall health and wellness, and it doesn’t need to be difficult to incorporate routine tasks into your everyday life.
10 Tips for Families
WebMD offers 10 Tips for Families:
- Start children early. As early as the very first tooth.
- Seal off trouble. Thin protective coatings applied to the chewing surfaces of the molars (back teeth) can prevent decay in the pits and fissures.
- Use enough—but not too much—fluoride.
- Brush twice a day and floss daily.
- Rinse or chew gum after each meal.
- Wear a mouthguard to avoid blows to the teeth and gums.
- Don’t smoke or use smokeless tobacco.
- Well-balanced diet. Focus on grains, nuts, fruits and vegetables, and dairy products.
- Avoid sugary foods.
- Make routine appointments. See your dentist every six months for a check-up, including cleaning, exam and any necessary treatments.