It’s tough to deny the deliciousness of the grilled cheese sandwich, whether it’s the classic version or one that incorporates a modern day twist.
The upcoming 4th Annual Wine & Cheese Tasting (April 24th in New London; PDF) the Rural Health Initiative (RHI) is featuring fresh, savory samples of three hand-picked upgrades of the classic grilled cheese sandwich. It’s a brilliant idea; 1) It’s an excellent way to celebrate and incorporate delicious local cheeses, as well as, 2) Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month!
Fun Facts about Grilled Cheese (source)
- April 12, 2015 is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day
- 75% of people who buy sliced cheese make at least one grilled cheese a month.
- The actual term “grilled cheese” was known as “toasted cheese” or “melted cheese” sandwiches until its appearance in print in the 1960s.
- In the 1993 film Benny & Joon, the illiterate, beguiling Sam, played by a young Johnny Depp, cooks a stack of grilled cheese sandwiches using a clothes iron.
- The classic American grilled cheese sandwich emerged in the 1920s when inexpensive cheese and affordable sliced bread became available. (source)
- The Appleton: wheat or white bread, cheddar cheese, Granny Smith apples slices, caramel sauce
- Sofia: Rye bread or marble, pepper jack, pesto, roasted red peppers
- Carnegie: Toasted baguette, mustard, Swiss cheese, dill pickles, ham
Recipes modified from Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board’s Grilled Cheese Academy.
Tickets for the 4th Annual Wine & Cheese Tasting: $25 (advance; cash or check, Mail the bottom portion of the event flyer [PDF] to RHI); $27 (online; debit or credit), or $30 (at door; cash or check). To view highlights from 2014’s event: click here.
Sponsors for featured grilled cheese include: Outagamie County Dairy Promotions, Waupaca County Dairy Promotions, Kwik Trip (New London), and Festival Foods (New London).
Hungry yet? Try a recipe from one of these sites:
- Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board: Grilled Cheese Academy
- Download the 2014 Grilled Cheese Recipe Showdown [PDF]
- LA Times: April is Grilled Cheese Month: 12 recipes from the Test Kitchen
- Food Network: 50 Grilled Cheese Recipes