The ThedaCare Rural Health initiative serves seven local Wisconsin counties improving the health and well-being of rural communities and empowering each person to live their best healthy life.
Many of the services we offer are grant-funded, so there is no charge to participants. Services are available to participants age 18 and older living or working in a rural area.
Based on the concept of “Kitchen Wellness,” trained Outreach Health Specialists bring services to your home, farm or rural business. Anyone rural can participate, most counties are considered rural.
Our Outreach Health Specialists (OHS) are healthcare professionals, trained and competent in their clinical skills. In addition, each staff member is extremely knowledgeable about rural life as well as the barriers of achieving and maintaining optimal health and wellness. Our team understands you!
Basic Services provided at no cost by our Outreach Health Specialists.
We are partially grant supported by the CDC and UW Madison. Please click on the topic that interests you for more information.
Preventive Health Screening
- A blood sample is collected by finger stick (2-3 drops) for full lipid panel and fasting glucose
- The sample is placed into a cassette and analyzed by our certified, portable medical equipment
- Results are available immediately and reviewed with our trained health care staff for cholesterol levels and blood sugar
- A copy of the results is provided for your convenience
- Results are entered into the ThedaCare system and available for your primary health care practitioner
Additional services available at no cost
- Blood Pressure Check – Measurement of the force of blood against the artery walls. Normal range of 120/80 or less.
- Hemoglobin A1c Check – Measurement of your average blood sugar levels over the past 3 months. A normal A1C level is below 5.7%, a level of 5.7% to 6.4% indicates prediabetes, and a level of 6.5% or more indicates diabetes. Within the 5.7% to 6.4% prediabetes range, the higher your A1C, the greater your risk is for developing type 2 diabetes.
Our health coaching services provide you relevant health and wellness information on a variety of topics related to your needs and interests.
Education materials related to healthy lifestyle, including preventing heart disease, stroke, cancer, healthy meal planning, child development, smoking cessation, and more.
Assistance with goal-setting to achieve an optimal lifestyle.
Referral and contact information for various local organizations that can help you with whatever you need or want more information about including:
- Healthcare System Information
- Finding a Physician (Doctor) who is accepting new patients
- Finding a Specialty Physician (Doctor) who is covered “in-network”
- Social Services
- Counseling Services
- Networking services
- Programs to support agricultural needs
- Financial Planning Assistance
Specialty Services (No cost) In home or virtual
- Pharmacist Initial Consult- ask our pharmacist a basic questions regarding your medications
- Pharmacist Medication Review- Reviews consist of going over each medication, how to take them, administration technique on devices, storage requirements, an allergy assessment, renal/kidney dosing and more.
- Nutritionist Initial Consult – ask our nutritionist, certified diabetic educator, basic questions regarding your dietary concerns.
We also utilize language interpreters, as needed, to allow us to communicate with individuals who do not speak English as their first language.
Schedule a House Call!
We can come to you when it fits best into your schedule – whether it’s before or after morning chores, or perhaps in the afternoon on a rainy day when you can’t be in the fields. We are here to answer your questions and help get started on your wellness journey.